Factors That Lead to Success in Divorce Mediation
What are the keys to success in divorce mediation? Here are some of the must-have ingredients.
- Participation from both parties: Mediation cannot succeed if the spouses do not participate in the decision making process. Both must be willing to commit to good-faith efforts and negotiations to get through the process.
- Organization and preparation: Both parties must spend time preparing for mediation by collecting and organizing all of the important documents needed for the decision making process. They should bring those documents with them to mediation sessions.
- Mutual respect: You and your spouse do not have to like each other. It’s almost unavoidable that there will be some hard feelings at play. But you must treat each other with respect for the process to go smoothly. Accusations, name-calling and spite will derail the process and make it more likely that you will need to go to court.
- Patience: You’re not going to settle the hot-button issues of your divorce immediately. It takes some time and a willingness to communicate and truly listen for you to get to a point where you can each be comfortable with a decision that’s proposed. Be patient and allow the process to work.
- Compromise: You’re not going to get everything you want out of a divorce. You can, however, achieve mutually agreeable solutions by being willing to compromise here and there. Know what your priorities are before you begin mediation and know the areas in which you’re willing to give some ground.
Want some more tips to make your divorce mediation go as smoothly as possible? Contact an experienced Long Island divorce lawyer at Solutions Divorce Mediation with your questions.