Finding Happiness During and After Your Divorce
Divorce is a major life change. With that change can come lots of complicated emotions, in addition to changes in location, financial situation, parenting arrangements and more. Staying emotionally and mentally healthy during and after the divorce process can be a challenge. Here are some tips for finding happiness during this tough time:
- Put the children first: If you have children, divorce can be especially hard. Work with your spouse, whenever possible, to develop a good coparenting relationship. Even though you’re not married, you should both have a vested interest in ensuring your child’s happiness and health. Look for solutions to ensure that the children come first.
- Seek mental health help: There’s no shame in getting mental health help—in fact, it can make a marked difference in how easily you adjust to your new normal. Look for a therapist who can help you create healthy coping strategies. You might also want to visit a therapist with your ex to talk about coparenting.
- Focus on self-care: Divorce can take a physical, mental, emotional and financial toll. That can be devastating, especially on top of your normal responsibilities and obligations. Don’t forget to take time for self-care, whether that’s giving yourself an hour of quiet time every evening, spending a weekend with friends or hitting a new gym.
- Lean on loved ones: Your loved ones likely want to help you through the process, but might not know how. Don’t hesitate to let them know when you could use some friends and family time, need a holiday invitation or just a vent session on the phone.
- Seek out resources: There are many resources available to divorcing people, including support groups, books, religious programs, classes and more. Don’t be afraid to ask doctors, therapists and loved ones what they recommend.
When you prioritize your overall well-being, you’re more likely to find happiness during and after your divorce. The adjustment can be difficult, but there are many good experiences waiting for you on the other side.
When you need a trusted divorce mediator in Long Island, reach out to Solutions Divorce Mediation today.