Important Post-Divorce Tasks to Put on Your To-Do List
Once your divorce is finalized, you’re probably ready to breathe a sigh of relief. However, there are a few more tasks that you need to do before you move on to the next phase of life.
Here are some of the most important post-divorce tasks to do:
- Get copies of the certificate of dissolution: You’ll need copies of your certificate of dissolution for paperwork purposes, such as changing your passport or Social Security card.
- Sign a satisfaction of money judgement:If you paid any money to your ex as a condition of the divorce settlement, have them sign a satisfaction of money judgement to prove you met your obligations.
- Transfer titles and update insurance policies:Transfer titles to the home and vehicles as necessary, then update your insurance policies—including life insurance, if applicable.
- Change bank accounts:Next, take your ex off of any of your bank accounts as a beneficiary, and close joint accounts.
- Check your credit:Request a credit report to make sure that you haven’t missed any payments or any new accounts have been opened in your name.
- Update your health insurance:You’ll need to update your health insurance based on your new situation, whether that’s getting your own insurance or taking your ex off the policy.
- Update your will:Finally, sit down with an estate planning attorney and update your estate plan—unless you’ve agreed otherwise, or want your ex-spouse to inherit should you pass away suddenly.
Taking care of these tasks will ensure that your rights are protected after your divorce. Always follow the terms of your settlement agreement, however. For example, if you agree to pay for your child’s health insurance as part of your divorce judgement, you need to respect that agreement until or unless it can be modified.
For more information about divorce mediation, reach out to the experienced Long Island divorce meditators at Solutions Divorce Mediation today.