Tips for Successful Online Divorce Mediation
Online divorce mediation became popular during COVID-19, but the convenience and ease of online mediation is here to stay. Thanks to high-speed internet and videoconferencing software, it’s easier than ever to fit a mediation appointment into your busy life.
Here are some tips to help you successfully choose an online divorce mediator, and how to navigate the process:
- Find online divorce mediators: First, find several divorce mediators who offer online services. Because you won’t need to visit their office in person, you’ll typically have more mediators from which to choose. Compare lists with your spouse and see if you can agree on one to three for an interview.
- Ask about the process: When you consult with the mediators, find out more about their process. For instance, how do they handle situations where one spouse needs to speak to the mediator separately? How do they prefer to receive and share documents, such as financial disclosures? Do they have “rules” for the mediation sessions? Will you attend sessions separately or together?
- Arrange for privacy and quiet: Next, you’ll need to make sure you have a private, quiet place to connect to each session. This may include arranging childcare, setting devices to “do not disturb” or informing your colleagues that you’ll be in a private lunch meeting.
- Test your technology: Make sure that your software and internet connection are operating properly. For instance, if your sessions are held on Zoom, ask a friend to help you test your technology beforehand. You’ll be less likely to experience technological errors during the actual meetings.
- Prepare your documents: Before the first session, collect your financial and marital documents, from W-2s and pay stubs to prenuptial agreements and deeds to the house.
These logistical considerations will help you find the right mediator, know what to expect from the process and are prepared from the start.
If you’re interested in online divorce mediation, reach out to the seasoned divorce mediators at Solutions Divorce Mediation in Long Island.