Transitioning from Mediation to Uncontested Divorce
Experienced Long Island attorneys on staff facilitate your settlement
Many couples enter divorce mediation believing they will have to contest some of the issues in court. Their purpose is to reduce the number of contested issues, so they can save some time and money. However, it’s not unusual for couples who commit to the mediation process to find they can resolve all their issues. At this point, they have the makings of a divorce settlement that can enable them to file uncontested and have their divorce finalized that much quicker. Unfortunately, many of these couples must then go to an outside attorney to finalize the language, and this is where the process slows down or falls apart. But this is where Solutions Divorce Mediation is different. Our mediators are attorneys, so you don’t have to go anywhere else. We memorialize your settlement in precise legal language that can win court approval and prove effective as you move forward.
How to file for uncontested divorce on Long Island
In an uncontested divorce, the spouses must meet the state’s residency requirements and reach agreement on all the ancillary issues. In New York, the requirements are that:
- At least one spouse has been living in New York for at least two continuous years immediately before filing for divorce, or
- At least one spouse has been living in New York for at least one continuous year immediately before filing for divorce and
- The couple was married in New York, or
- The spouses lived in New York as a married couple, or
- The grounds for the divorce happened in New York
If you are eligible for a divorce in New York, you can file uncontested if you and your spouse agree on the following:
- The need for a divorce
- The grounds of divorce, or the no-fault option
- How to divide marital property and debt
- How custody of the children and parenting time for the noncustodial parent will work
- Who pays child support and how much
- Who pays spousal support and how much
When Solutions Divorce Mediation manages your uncontested divorce mediation, our in-house attorneys can finalize your administrative paperwork for the low cost of $1,500. At that point you are ready to file and get timely court approval. Complex divorce mediation rates start at 5 an hour, divided between the two spouses.
Contact Long Island divorce mediators for a free initial consultation
Successful mediation often results in an uncontested divorce, saving you time and litigation expenses. To learn how Solutions Divorce Mediation, Inc. can help you, call us at 1.631.683.8172 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Evening and weekend appointments are available 7 days/week.